Thursday 26 April 2012

A day in the mind of an obese person


constant judgement from society

I often ask myself what goes through the mind of an obese person, so I took it upon myself  to do some research. The questions that always seemed to linger in my mind are “How do obese people perceive themselves compared to others?”  , “Have they given up on life?”, “What lead them to let go of their bodies? “ I was always told from a young age that you are your own brand, and how you choose to build your brand and image is entirely up to you; your brand will carry you throughout your life ,first impressions always last and last impression linger the longest.
An anonymous blogger gives us a preview in a day of mind of an obsess person.

First to give you an update…. my new “Weight Watchers” motivation and hype has gone out once again… I do know that I still have to do something… and as I just continue gaining weight, this really is becoming more urgent with every passing day… somehow it still hasn’t hit me yet. Yes, seeing people laugh at me, talking about me behind my back and just giving me “the look” sure makes me want to lose weight, look normal and be a person they only look at because they think I’m “beautiful” but once I’m back with my friends that feeling ebbs too… sometimes I think having friends that accept you is a horrible thing.. Now don’t get me wrong... Obviously it’s the most perfect thing in the world but my brain works like this: If my friends can accept me like this – why can’t everybody else? And do I really need to lose weight to please those people? Every now and then a little depression runs over me… Well sometimes it runs... Sometimes it crawls… and sometimes it stays with me… It must like me more at some points in my life. Instead of letting my emotions do what they wanted (cry) I ate it all up in form of chips, chocolate, pasta, sweets – really anything I could find. Weird thing – I know it doesn’t help… I have done it many times and I only feel worse after. Not just after actually... Sometimes I feel like throwing up and I still continue eating… What in the world is wrong with me? 

This blog certainly shows us the struggles of being overweight or obese and how society perceives obese people, they are clearly marginalised. The obese blogger(and most obese people) knows that they are overweight and needs to address the problem as soon as possible but their will-power dies out very quick, depression kicks in and the cycle of seeking comfort in food gains momentum. This is a sad reality that most obese people go through daily, help from family and friends would be most ideal(exercise,healthy eating plan,motivation etc.) judging the person won’t do them justice as there is already a lot of confusion in their mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment